The VITAL Solution
- VITAL is a Highmark Health-funded program that currently tests new innovations at Allegheny Health Network (AHN) facilities for AHN patients who are also eligible members of certain health plans.
- VITAL integrates work "under one roof" to provide:
- Access to integrated clinician system
- Access to target populations
- Access to advanced claims-level / clinical data and cost analytics
- VITAL meets unmet needs by leveraging claims-level and clinical data in an accelerated real-world test environment to produce evidence for commercial products
- VITAL demonstrates success by reducing medical spend, improved quality outcomes, and enhanced patient access to new technologies
Why VITAL Is Necessary
Fast Fact: 3-7 Years on average for medical devices from concept to market
Industry trends: Health care is in a period of dramatic transformation with shifting pressures, new technologies, and changing expectations.
- Industry-Wide Change
Shift from volume-based care to value based reimbursement and population health management. Patient-centered approaches to transformation are realigning access, system redesign and safety / risk management.
- New Technologies
The health care industry has seen a dramatic increase in technology companies rapidly bringing new innovations and solutions to care delivery.
- Need for Proof
Technology companies and the health care industry are looking to test these new solutions in a real-world environment for clinical and economic guidance around value.
- Unmet Needs
Today, innovations are delayed from market adoption due to lack of appropriate evidence, which impedes the impact they can have on patient care.
What Makes VITAL Different
- As an integrated delivery and financing system, Highmark Health can coordinate care and coverage efficiencies in a continuous and scalable way, providing the VITAL program with:
- Access to clinicians at a leading provider system for each innovation test: an available pool of ~2,800 clinicians across 8 hospitals in the Allegheny Health Network, plus independent physicians and other strategic partners
- Access to claims and other longitudinal data of eligible members that participate in the program from the largest commercial health plan in Pennsylvania
- Our process allows for seamless integration between researchers, data scientists, clinicians and patients that allows us to quickly understand the impact of new innovation on patient outcomes and costs.
- Guidance on navigating the clinical, economic and reimbursement landscape
- Improved health outcomes and cost benefits support enhanced patient experience
- Enhanced quality, superior clinical outcomes and reduction in medical costs
- VITAL leverages performance measurement (quality, cost, and access metrics) and data-driven population health management – to provide evidence in real-world settings.
- Advanced data and analytics capabilities to track and measure cost, outcomes data and determine overall health system impact
- Predictive models for patient ID and targeting
- VITAL facilitates matching best-in-class tech manufacturers with clinicians to foster collaboration and ability to create clinical and financial outcomes stories around utilization.
Where VITAL is Headed
- The VITAL pipeline is full and focused with over 40 new ideas under evaluation
- VITAL is evolving as part of a broader innovation initiative that will power care and experience transformation at an industry level
VITAL by the Numbers
- 12 active projects, 40+ in the pipeline
- 7 focus areas: cardiology, oncology, women's services, chronic conditions such as COPD and diabetes, precision medicine, and other areas focused on clinical transformation
VITAL Test Success Stories